Yesterday was quite an eventful day for the three of us. It was my scheduled weekend to work and Ryan was headed up to Cleveland to see the Indians play with his roommate from college, Josh.
The day at work started with a whirlwind of activity as a patient I was caring for was experiencing some serious medical concerns. I was constantly on the phone with physicians and the pharmacy department to do what we could for this patient. After waiting for an hour for pharmacy to bring up a medication from downstairs I called to say that I would be down to get it. The trip down was uneventful; however, on my way back up the stairs I must have caught my foot and I fell. While my knee took the brunt of the impact I also landed on my stomach. After calling Dr. Arbona, she instructed me to go to the emergency room and get checked out. The staff supervisor walked me up to labor and delivery to check me out and to make sure that my tumble did not cause me to start having contractions. The doctor on call had them place me on a fetal and uterine monitor to watch the baby and any uterine activity. Thankfully Peanut's heart rate stayed a constant 140-150 beats per minute. Initially, I was experiencing uterine irritability, which means that my uterus was not entirely relaxed, but the periods of uterine contraction were brief and lasted less than 40 seconds. This subsided after about an hour and was most likely due to being jostled around. I also received an ultrasound to make sure that the baby and the placenta were alright and that I was not experiencing any bleeding. Thankfully, everything checked out okay and Peanut barely held still long enough for the ultrasound technician to do her job. Bethany, my sister, was able to come pick me up since they requested that I refrain from driving home.
Amidst all this Ryan was calling wanting to know if I was truly alright and if he should come. I reassured him several times that everything was alright and to stay and watch the game. I think he was able to eventually enjoy his time aside from the Indians losing.
Hopefully this will be the last and only time I have to make an extra trip to check on how Peanut if faring. I must say yesterday I was surprised how strong my emotions were, and truly felt the need to protect this little blessing I have yet to actually see. Peanut was quite active last night, and this helped me to lay aside some of my fears. What a story we will have to tell him or her one day!
We will post the new ultrasound pictures when we have them scanned in. For now the critical six hours after the fall passed uneventfully and things seem to have calmed down. Unfortunately three or four days ago I began to start feeling nauseated again in the mornings and evenings. I hope this will simply be a momentary relapse of morning sickness and not permanent! More pictures will be posted soon--- along with my baby belly!
Monday, May 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment