The last year has been full of exciting change for our family. Since it has been almost a year since my last post, I'll try to give a somewhat brief synopsis of what 2010 held for our family.
February - February is about the time that positions begin to open up in the world of coaching... Ry began to apply for numerous coaching jobs, and I applied within Marion General Hospital for a position at the Center for New Beginnings, the obstetrical floor.
March - At Bria's 18 month check up, I mentioned to the pediatrician that she was having a large amount of bruising, 10-12 at a time which had gone on continuously for 6 weeks. He felt it was time to evaluate this. Meanwhile, I was interviewed and accepted the position to work on the OB floor... at night!
April - Marked the third time we had to take Bria to have her blood drawn. By the second time, we walked in and she knew where we were and what was happening. There are not many things that have been that difficult since we became parents. We felt like we were doing the best thing for her, and when her lab results continued to come back abnormally it of course warranted further testing. I began on the OB floor this month. Ryan continued to apply and interview for a battery of jobs in Ohio and elsewhere.
May - Quite uneventful, late May/early June we did take a trip up to Albany to visit Ryan's family. It was a nice reprieve from the mundane.
June - Bria saw a hematologist, at Children's, Dr. Rose, and had further lab work. At this point we were looking at a possible diagnosis of a platelet disorder or a rare form of hemophilia found in females called von Willebrand's. Walking through the hematology office made Ryan and I realize how blessed we are that our child is healthy. We were the first appointment that day, but by the time we left Nationwide Children's in Columbus there were multiple children in the waiting room who were being treated for some type of cancer. Despite our challenges with Bria, we realized God has been so good!
July - Bria received a clean bill of health! The final lab results showed her blood clotting completely normally. The nurse that called to share her lab results with me said she could not really explain why they were normal after all this time. I didn't need one. I had a great explanation. Prior to one of Bria's appointments in April or May I had been reading a devotional book by Max Lucado that for some reason I felt compelled to read. Near the end of the chapter he had an excerpt from the Bible included that said, "Your daughter will be healed." I felt so strongly that this message was from God to our family and that He had directed me to read this chapter on that day. Bria had an appointment with her regular pediatrician later the same day and I fully expected to hear that everything was normal. It wasn't, and I remember feeling so disappointed and confused, but God is faithful and is true to the words that He speaks to us. Ryan and I also travelled to Minnesota this month for an interview at Crown College. It was our first extended trip away from Bria. I have to say the highlight of this trip was visiting the Mall of America. Near the middle to end of July, Ryan accepted a position at Taylor University as an assistant coach and we decided it would be a good time to think about adding to our family.
August - We began preparations to move. Ryan came over to Taylor in early August to work basketball camp. I came over with Bria, and on our way back to Ohio we stopped via Upland to visit Ryan for a few minutes. A few nights prior to this I had begun to feel nauseous and thought I may be pregnant. When we stopped by Upland on August 3rd, my first comment to Ry was, "What would you like for tax day?" He stopped and thought and I said, "How about another deduction!" August 3rd marked three weeks and five days into my pregnancy. I am due April 15th. The following week we moved from Fredericktown to a temporary home in Russiaville (aka Mom & Dad's) and a storage facility in Gas City. Moving day is a story in itself, one I would rather not remember, but if you are that interested let me know. The day we unloaded the moving truck we also headed up to Lakeside, Ohio for the vacation we take each year with Ryan's family. There was quite a bit of discussion about how much longer we will fit into the home that we have been renting.
September - I travelled back and forth from Ohio to Indiana for a couple of weeks to finish out working at MGH. I also began looking for jobs in Indiana, and Ryan took on working at Taylor in full force. The 10th we received our first pictures of Little Sprout, whose heart rate was 184 and strong! We also celebrated Bria's 2nd birthday Mickey Mouse style. The 15th Bria, my sister and I flew out to Colorado Springs and met my parents to visit my brother. Bria and I were also able to meet his wonderful girlfriend, Mary, for the first time. While my pregnancy was going well, morning sickness and the increased elevation did not bode well!
October - I began working PRN at a local hospital in the emergency department. While this was not my first choice, it was what came along. Ryan was into the season full swing by this time. On the 15th we moved into a home close to the campus of Indiana Wesleyan University. It has been good to reconnect with several other families who once worked at MVNU and are now at IWU, and to develop many new friendships at TU and through church.
November - This month was marked by the demanding schedule that a basketball coach maintains. I must say I forgot how busy the winter months can be amidst practice, games, recruiting and the many other obligations Ryan has. I also received a position at the ED I had been working to begin part time 11 pm - 7 am. While this is not an ideal schedule, we had been praying for an opportunity to open up somewhere so our family would have health insurance. PRAISE THE LORD!!! We were able to spend Thanksgiving with my family at their house, it was goooooooooooood!
December - Our third pictures of Little Sprout showed what he or she is... so someone knows but it is not us! As far as the ultrasound went, everything looks beautiful. I have had no real issues with this pregnancy other than morning sickness for 18 weeks, two weeks more than with Bug. If I tack on 2 additional weeks with each child we hope to have... well, ick! We travelled to Albany via train for a quick 48 hour trip over Christmas. Another interesting time in my life I would rather not relive.
And now, after fretting the last four days of 2010 in which we were uninsured prior to my benefits beginning on January first, Bria and I are both sick! We can not ever say, however, that God is not faithful. Over the last year He brought us through a frightening time in the life of our daughter, brought Ryan out of unemployment to work under an incredibly successful and experienced coach, blessed us with another sweet child, and provided me with the perfect position to meet our insurance needs. HE HAS BEEN FAITHFUL AND WE GIVE HIM THE GLORY.
I'll close by listing one of my favorite Little Bug quotes, she has become quite the ham since earlier this fall.
While going back into her room to remind her it is nap time so she needs to nap she said, "Mommy, can we name baby sister a cow?" Since she has not come up with any other names I didn't discourage her choice, but if this baby is a girl, I doubt she will appreciate being called a "cow."
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment