Thursday, February 28, 2008

Our wiggle worm

Today I returned to the office for another check-up with the nurse practitioner. I am progressing quite normally and was able to hear Peanut's heart beat via doppler again this morning. It took quite a while for the baby's heart beat to be located because my uterus is still primarily in my pelvis and Peanut was wiggling around quite a bit. I was able to hear his or her heart beat two different times for just a few seconds. The nurse practitioner also located the placenta, which was exciting only because it is at the top of my uterus, also called the fundus, and thus hopefully not covering any part of my cervix. When I return next month Peanut will be a little more "out there" and the heart beat should be easier to find. We decided together this afternoon to forego testing for Trisomy 18 and Down's Syndrome. New technology tests for these chromosomal abnormalaties between 11 weeks and 1 day and 13 weeks and 6 days. Ryan and I both felt that there was really no need to do additional testing, as regardless of the results our child will still be our child. We certainly hope and pray for an uneventful pregnancy, delivery, and a healthy child, but in the event that the unexpected occurs this baby is still ours and a very special part of each one of us.

I was feeling quite good until yesterday when I was sick to my stomach practically all day. I jokingly told Ryan that I will no longer tell anyone I am beginning to feel good because I jinxed myself when I did so... maybe I wasn't teasing. Hopefully the nausea will disappear completely within the next couple of weeks! At the risk of having a horrible night, I am beginning to feel better.

We continue to debate about what names will be suitable once September comes and while we still have quite a while I am surprised how fast the time has gone by all ready. It certainly makes me more eager to narrow down the name possibilities sooner rather than later.

I believe that is all for now. I could go for hours and educate you all on the wonders of pregnancy and childbirth; however, I am well aware that some people do not find this as interesting as I do and even have sensitive stomachs regarding the matter. So as not to scare anyone from reading these posts I will sign off for now. Hope you are all enjoying the remainder of winter if you live in Ohio... I'm ready for the snow to melt and the sun to shine!!!

1 comment:

MJUnderwood said...

Hope you are feeling a little better after your day of yuck. When that little baby shows a little more we will need a belly bump picture... :)