Thursday, January 29, 2009

A is for allergy



I often find myself singing all sorts of ridiculous songs to Bria throughout the day including one my Grandma Mackett used to sing to me. "A you're adorable. B you're so beautiful..." Well, that's pretty much as far as I get because those are the only words I know.

At any rate, I'm changing the words to "A is for allergy" in lieu of our trip this week to the Knox Community Emergency Department. Tuesday night Ryan had a game at Ohio Dominican in Columbus and I was home with Bria. I changed her diaper in the early evening and while I was changing her she made what I thought was a new squeal although I remember it sounding a little odd. Everything was fine and a few hours later while getting her ready for bed I changed her again. This time, after wiping her bottom she began to wheeze and gasp. This continued for about 45 seconds, and meanwhile, I called 911. Of course by the time they arrived everything had once again resolved. They left our home and told me to call again if she had another episode. Ryan called in the midst of this and I quickly told him what was going on. He called Michelle, who arrived at our house and stayed for a bit. I asked her to stay while I changed Bria, saying that it probably wouldn't happen again but just in case I wanted someone with me. Sure enough, her diaper came off and soon she was wheezing and gasping for air. Michelle, who watches Bria while I am at work, quickly agreed that something was wrong. Bria settled, I transferred her to the crib, finished cleaning her off and another episode began. I decided at this point we needed to take her to the emergency department. To make a long story short the emergency department physician disregarded our concerns; however, Ryan and I discovered while we were there that the wipes we were using, which were a new brand we were trying out, were causing this reaction. On Wednesday, we found out from the pediatrician's office that a common cause of allergies in young infants is lanolin. Sure enough, this ingredient is listed on the package. Needless to say we have tossed these wipes and I have begun reading the labels of various things Bria comes in contact with to ensure this will not happen again!


Happy baby!

On a less serious note, Bria now weighs in at 16 pounds 3 ounces. She is becoming a little more proportionate. Her neck is also beginning to appear from beneath the folds of her cheeks and multiple chins. She delights us daily with her beautiful smile and is constantly "talking" to us from the time she wakes up to the time we put her in bed. Lately, she has also begun to reach and lunge for things with both hands. We are still awaiting the appearance of her first tooth, but if her drool and constant gnawing on anything she comes in contact with are any indication we may not be waiting for long!


Family snapshot... we don't always look this disheveled!

Our prayers are continually answered as even through this unexpected reaction God has continued to protect our precious daughter from harm and watch over her new life. We are confidant He will continue to protect her and has great plans for her future! We will do our best to help her along the way and raise her in a family filled with love for her and demonstrated by love for each other.


A little love from Daddy


It's fun to have a baby born with hair... most of the time!

No comments: